Inequality in wealth and income is arguably one of the greatest threats to the future of humanity and has been on the rise in nearly all nations since the 1980s. According to the 2022 World Inequality Report, the product of four years of exhaustive data mining by 100+ researchers across the globe, so-called “trickle-down” economics has proved a failure. The wealthiest 10% of the globe’s population now earns 52% of its income, whereas the poorest 50% takes home just 8% of that total. The gap is even more pronounced when it comes to wealth. Of the world’s total assets, the poorest half of the population owns just 2%, while the top 10% hold three-quarters. This gulf has only widened in recent decades with the rise in the ranks of global billionaires. Since 1995, the share of global wealth in the hands of the world’s billionaires has tripled, from 1% to 3% -- a concentration of riches that increased during the COVID-19 pandemic. According to the report, the wealth of the world’s billionaires swelled by a record amount during 2020.